About Us

Contact Us

Rates and Services

Code of Ethics

The ASHI Experience

View Contract

Radon

Water

Mold

Informational Links

Home


Serving :

Mecklenburg County

Iredell County

Gaston County

Lincoln County

Catawba County

Including the metro areas of  Charlotte, Gastonia, Lake Norman, Hickory, and Statesville


Scott Bachman Owner/Inspector
North Carolina Licensed Home Inspector #2563
ASHI Certified Professional Inspector #245829
Certified Environmental Consultant  - #PLP10605  


Contact us:

828-428-8505

704-530-7050

or E-Mail:
detectioninspect@bellsouth.net


 

Affiliations

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Can Mold Cause Health Problems?

Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing.  Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins).  Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.  Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common.  They can be immediate or delayed.  Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.  Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold.  Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. For more detailed information consult a health professional. 

Why is mold growing in my Home?

Molds are part of the natural environment.  Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided.  Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air.  Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet.  There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

How do I get rid of mold?

It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust.  The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present.  Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors.  If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.

I know I have mold because I can see it. Why should I test?

Visible mold is not necessarily the dangerous type! Some surface molds are considered “cosmetic” molds, easily killed with the right cleaning product. This type doesn’t normally have to be tested. Invisible mold spores ARE in the air – testing will tell if they are abundant, indicating a problem.

A certified mold inspector cannot reliably identify a mold genus or species growing on a building surface by the naked eye – he or she must TEST.

Using basic testing methods, an experienced, certified mold inspector can screen a home or building for excessive mold.

Hiring a certified mold inspector for pre-screening a home for mold is not expensive.

“Dead” mold sends spores into the air, which can be allergenic or toxic. Testing the air is the only way to determine if and what types of mold spores exist in large amounts, or if toxic dangerous mold is present.

Sensitive or immune deficient people, infants, children, the elderly and even pets can be affected. Of course, health and allergy screening tests performed by health care professionals are essential.

Your air conditioner could be a breeding ground for spreading mold spores throughout your home. The heating and air conditioning system has humid and moist air passing through it. Moisture is one of the elements needed for mold growth. If it is not functioning properly or has ducting problems, mold can grow on or in the duct system, blower assembly, and the evaporator coil.

If you have concerns about mold in your home, an initial non-intrusive inspection of all accessible areas of your home and sample collections are recommended. This should be performed by a certified and experienced mold inspector. Detection Inspection, Inc. is certified to inspect and collect samples, using standard industry protocol.

  back to top